You know that exotic taste of Chinese Five Spice? Mmmm, makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
How about the firm, salty, roasted-sesame taste of the nori seaweed around your sushi roll bites? Imagine the odd, yet perfect bite of a golden, spicy, crunchy granola infused with salty cashews, flaky nori bits and sweet honey. Simply a “to die for” delicious-ness!
When I first started making my own granola, I infused a lot of different tastes and spices into my ‘conconctions’.
My daughter, Whitney, kept telling me how much she loved the granola that she made. ‘It’s so easy Mom, and much better for you than the high sugar, fat and salt granola that you buy. OH, and it’s very afforadable to make!’
So, make it I did! Granola baking is as much a part of my life now as grocery shopping is–but more fun.
My favorite thus far has been a fired up cayenne-granola with dark chocolate bits – super addicting. Not a breakfast granola by any means, but a by-the-handful, can’t get enough granola snack for sure…where can I hide this in the pantry so that no one else will find it kind of good!!
I saw a recipe in Food and Wine magazine at the end of 2015 for a Nori Granola. It sounded intersting and delicious. I decided to try my hand at something similar.
The Food and Wine recipe is: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/nori-granola
Mine is similar I guess, but I have not made the Japanese style recipe that inspired me to make mine. This recipe in Food and Wine belongs to Heidi Swanson. It looks delicious though!
raise your chopsticks into the air and proclaim a new snack!
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of crispy rice cereal
- 1 cups coarsely chopped raw cashews (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (half white/half black)
- 4 full sheets of sesame roasted seaweed (Nori) torn to small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice seasoning
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 cup of crunchy peanut butter
Fire up the oven!
- Preheat the oven to 300°
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats and crispy rice cereal, with the cashews, sesame seeds, Chinese 5 spice, black pepper and nori.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey, agave, peanut butter and olive oil. Warm over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the peanut butter ‘melts’ and the mixture starts to bubble a bit. Remove from the heat; pour over the granola mixture in the bowl. Toss with a large spoon to coat dry ingredients well.
- Spread the granola mixture on the sheet in an even layer, getting as close to the edges as possible. Bake for about 35 – 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the granola is golden brown. Watch closely to prevent burning of edges.
- Allow to cool completely before serving; the granola will crisp as it cools.
I really like this a lot! It’s been a great little snack to lay out with cheeses and wine before dinner gatherings with friends. I keep mine in a tightly covered glass jar, for several weeks at a time.
We sure did!!